Re: Webapps for developers

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Peter Laursen <jazcyk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well,I think that my post started some c ontroversy (or my post was
> controversal).
>
> I think the question is: "what is the audience for Fedora Desktop?".

I'm coming in late here, but I think there are two questions here:

1. Who are the *users* of Fedora Desktop?
2. Who are the *customers* of Fedora Desktop, i.e., who pays for its
development and support and manages its legal and accounting status?

I think the answers to 2 are fairly well defined, but I doubt if we
know who uses Fedora compared to, say, RHEL/CentOS, Debian or Ubuntu.

[ snip ]

> I think you have to distinguish *consumers* (accessing content) and
> *producers* (contributing content) rather than using th term *developer*..I
> don't think any Linux distro or the Linux community as such grapped that
> difference really. *consumers* (what is 80-90% of current computer users)
> don't need a PC/a full-fledged computer. A tablet or a smartphone is the
> ideal solution for them. I only see some understanding  of this in the
> "Enlightenment" desktop environment for Linux (but still very buggy). Anyone
> not biased should check the Win10 preview - it may very well change how
> computers are used by 95% of current computer users. It is "Windows as a
> serviee" and as such a much more aggressive approach to current challenges
> to the use of computers than Apple ever did it. It could very well be a
> revolution. And if you don't agree it doesn't really matter - you will be
> wiped away if it happens.

Well, since you brought up Windows 10 ;-)

I've been dual-booting Windows and Linux on laptops since Windows 2000
Professional / Red Hat Linux 6.2. I've gone from Red Hat to Debian to
Gentoo to openSUSE to Fedora on the Linux side, and I'm currently on
Fedora. I've got a Windows 10 Preview VM running under Virtual Machine
Manager on my Fedora 21 Workstation and the Win 10 desktop is
horrible!

Sure, I'm spoiled because I've spent 15 years with GNOME, KDE, Window
Maker and a few other desktops on occasion, but even accounting for
that bias, Windows 10 is the worst Windows desktop ever. It's
essentially an advertising platform. If that's what the "consumer"
wants, great, but I want a desktop that supports productive knowledge
work, not one that seizes every opportunity to distract me with moving
gizmos, calls to action, breaking news and recommendations.