Re: Evince browser plugin

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Michael Catanzaro
<mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed the Evince browser plugin is not installed by default. It was
> split into a subpackage to accommodate organizations that are concerned
> about the security implications of displaying PDFs in the web browser, and
> nothing installs the subpackage. This plugin is very good, and I want it to
> be installed by default for all Epiphany users who have Evince installed, as
> intended by upstream. (For Firefox users, it doesn't matter because Firefox
> will use its own built-in PDF viewer in preference to the plugin, Firefox
> makes it click-to-run which sucks, and Firefox hangs when it dlopens a GTK+
> 3 plugin anyway.)
>
> The correct solution in most distros would be for the evince package to have
> a Recommends for the evince-browser-plugin package, so that users get it by
> default but sysadmins can decide not to install it if need be. But we can't
> use Recommends yet. :S
>
> So there are a few options I can think of:
>
> * Add a Requires from evince to evince-browser-plugin, to be changed into a
> Recommends once we're allowed to use those. This will sadden those who do
> not want the browser plugin, but it's the most "correct" approach.

No because that will force it to be installed when evince is.

> * Add a Requires from epiphany-runtime to evince-browser-plugin. That would
> make Epiphany depend on Evince, and we don't want apps to depend on other
> apps, so this is my least favorite option. But it is preferable to users
> having to discover and install the plugin themselves. (It's a good plugin.
> :)

Again that would force the install of it.... it wasn't a good plugin
only a few months ago because it was crashing evince even when not
demands (or it least it did a few months ago).

> * Add evince-browser-plugin to the Fedora Workstation group in comps. This
> is yucky since it only benefits Epiphany users, and Epiphany is not
> installed by default. But I think it's preferable to a Requires from
> Epiphany to Evince.

Yes, this is the way to do it since it means that those that don't
wish to have it installed can just remove it.