Re: Make Yumex Default Package Manager

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 1:30 AM, Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Completely agree with that but I don't think command line experience makes
> me atypical since developer types are part of the explicitly stated focus of
> the workstation.
>

> To be fair (and maybe a pain in the butt, sorry) - even when I was in
> computer science classes using Visual Studio (those were dark days) we had
> to use the command line to run our apps. I know that relatively speaking in
> the world of tech that is a very long time ago. Is programming so different
> than that now that you can do it professionally / seriously without command
> line tools (or without wanting to use command line tools?)

The answer is "it depends" ... it depends mostly on two things

1) What are you developing for?

and

2) Which tool(s) do you use for it?

If the answer to 2) is $EDITOR then you probably will have to use a
terminal anyway. If it is $IDE it depends on 1) i.e whether you
develop something that can simply run in an IDE an does not need a
terminal for deployment and/or debuggung or not (like simple web apps
or android apps where testing in the emulator is sufficient).