Re: Goals for Fedora Workstation upgrades

Hi

On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 8:24 PM, Florian Müllner wrote:
Considering that removing an application does not affect any user data
or configuration associated with said application, I don't agree that
this is unacceptable or unsafe

It may be safe but it is not expected at all.  To continue with your example, if users were using Evolution in Fedora 20 and after the upgrade to Fedora 21,  Evolution gets removed and users get Geany which they have no idea about and they have to go back and manually install Evolution again just to get their emails?  That is just completely unacceptable especially if you don't even bother to ask them ahead of time.

I understand you want to control the experience to some extend but I think you are underestimating how extremely disruptive this is for users.  Provide them the tools to get a "fresh install" style experience instead but don't remove applications they could be relying on just because they are no longer the default.  One way of avoiding previous default applications cluttering up the system is to have a very  high bar to doing that.

Rahul