Some suggestions for Marketing notes for FW 21

Hi everyone,
Here are some draft notes I prepared to try to help our marketing team
build up some release notes and press material on the Fedora Workstation release.
Already sent it to the Working Group members, but I thought I send it out to these two
lists for further review and suggestions.

Christian
--------------------

Fedora Workstation Marketing

The Fedora Workstation is a new take on desktop development from the Fedora
Community. Instead of seeing ourselves primarily as passive packagers of any
software we manage to find we are now instead picking the best components out
there and doing a lot of of work to integrate and polish them, presenting you
with something you will feel is a much more polished and targeted product
than what you seen before from the Fedora community. We want our desktop operating
system to solve your problems, not be your problem.

Easy access to all your Software
The cornerstone of the Fedora Workstation is our Software installer application, or
our appstore if you like.. It provides a modern and fast interface for finding all
any kind of desktop software for your Fedora Workstation. In Fedora 21 we are using
the new hawkeye backend which will ensure a responsive and fast user experience and our
packagers have worked ardently with the relevant upstreams to greatly improve the
amount of applications that provide the needed information to populate the Software
installer.

Improvements to the Terminal application
We want to make sure developers have a great experience and we do know that a strong
terminal application is a core part of that.  Due to this we have worked to integrate
a set of new features in the terminal like support for transparent backgrounds, automatic
title updates which will make identifying different terminals easier, allow you do easily
toggle all system keybindings on and off in the terminal and in the GNOME desktop overview
you can search for terminal running processes by name.

Experimental Wayland Support
We have a usable Wayland session available in Fedora Workstation 21. Wayland is the new and
exciting technology that will power the linux desktops going forward. With Fedora Workstation 21
we offer you a unique opportunity to trial this technology and see how well your applications work
with it or to start experimenting with making your applications take advantage of some of the new
abilities Wayland will enable. A lot of the core Wayland development has been done by Fedora
Workstation contributors so this is your chance to try out this new exciting technology straight
from the source.

Developer Assistant
As a developer we recognize that you need to be able to set up a host of different development
environments in an easy and straightforward manner. In Fedora Workstation we offer the
Developer Assistant to help with this task. With the aid of the Developer Assistant you can
quickly set up development environments for a long range of language runtimes and IDEs. And
thanks to its integration of the new Fedora Software Collections multiple versions of the
different languages are available to fit with your business requirements.

Ease of installation
We want the installation of the Fedora Workstation to be as straightforward and simple as possible.
For the Fedora Workstation we have distilled this down to selecting the layout of your physical
media and then pressing install. Or if you want it even easier just let the installer choose the
disk layout for you. We also realize that the future of installations is not optical disks which
is why we ship with an easy to use tool for creating a bootable USB stick.

Toolkit integration
You have a job to do and want to use whatever tools that let you get that job done. The Fedora Workstation
recognize that which is why we have been hard at work making sure that applications
using as many toolkits as possible feel as native as possible in your Fedora Workstation. Be that the
new themeing for Qt which makes applications written using that toolkit feel native or the ability
to run HTML5 webservices in a chromeless window, making them feel like a natural extension to your desktop.

HiDPI Support
Technology never stands still and as a software developer you are used to using the best technology available.
Which is why we have spent a lot of time and effort on making sure that we support the new
generation of HiDPI displays well. Phoronix recently called our desktop the best of HiDPI.

Exciting roadmap
This Fedora Workstaiton release is not the end, it is the beginning of a new era for Fedora on the desktop. We have an
exciting roadmap lined up aiming to bring a range of exciting new technologies to the linux desktop like containers,
smarter virtual machines, better development tools, more web integration and so on. So if you want to be part of the
future of the linux desktop be sure to get on board now!