Re: F21 Workstation System Requirements - i686

On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 14:25 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> Will/should there be separate or slightly more qualified requirements for i686? Either hardware 3D support, or an age bracket?
>
> I ask because I dug out a 10 year old Dell laptop from storage and it meets the current requirements: 2GB RAM, 60GB drive, 1.7GHz CPU.
>
> But with AMD RV250/M9 GL FireGL 9000/Radeon 9000, the journal reports:
> gnome-session-is-accelerated: No hardware 3D support.

This is because of a blacklist
in /usr/share/gnome-session/hardware-compatibility - I don't remember at
this point why pre-R300 Radeon is blacklisted... as far as I know things
*should* work. Theories:

 * old Radeons typically have very small amounts of on-board video
memory - 64MB is practically speaking pretty much the minimum that is
going to work well.
 * Even several years ago when we created that file, we didn't feel like
we had enough testing on R[12]xx to have any confidence in the drivers.
 * Some bug encountered in the past that may or may not have been fixed.
 * AGP, ugh, don't want to deal.

You can try commenting out the relevant line in that file and see what
happens.

> While gdm comes up, gnome-shell crashes (this is TC6).

This is definitely not expected; since hardware support is disabled, you
will have llmvpipe rendering, just like is used, e.g., when running
Fedora in a VM. (i686 Fedora in a VM seems to work just fine.)

> With my QA hat on, I'd say if it worked, I'd use it against some of the
> test cases; the fact it doesn't and i686 is (probably?) going away soon
> anyway makes me think "if it works, bonus; if it doesn't, give up while
> you still can" sort of attitude.

Our current thinking is that this system is marginal, but within the
system requirements and any crashes are bugs we should fix.

- Owen