Re: Image viewer applications

> Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> - Is gnome-documents going to get similar support for opening PDFs/etc.
>
> The plan, I think, is to extend Nautilus's preview functionality to
> the point where standalone viewing apps (eog, evince) are no longer
> required in the default install. However, while there is the
> possibility of this happening at some point in the future, we don't
> have a clear time frame for when it might land. It might not happen in
> time for F22, in other words.

Put aside the distinction in the mind of the "common user" (ie. myself)
between a "viewer" that does this but not that, and just something that
lets me "open" up the file, let alone the timeline issues, what is the
plan for PDF displaying a PDF on my screen?

I've been using evince for a long time, and find it emminently adequate
for the job of opening, reading and printing PDFs, which I do quite
frequently to the point of daily.  The real question here is, "assuming
that evince will be dropped from the default install, will there be a PDF
'display' (or whatever you want to call it) program installed by default?"

Please pardon what some will think along the lines of "well duh, he can
just used such-and-such package which is already installed by default, or
just install evince from the repositories, and anyway there are plenty of
other software packages out there which can "display" PDFs -- such as
LibreOffice, The Gimp, etc.."  Yes, I *do* know how to do "yum install
evince".