Re: Multibooting UX, how well it ought to work

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My personal opinions:
>
> On Thu, 2014-06-26 at 18:51 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> 1a. Does preserve preexisting include providing a working menu entry
>> in the boot manager (e.g. in the GRUB menu)?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 1b. Or is it sufficient to just preserve the installation data —
>> meaning it's permissible for its bootability to be either non-obvious
>> or broken?
>
> No. Users will not be able to recover from this scenario.
>
>> 2. If the answer to 1a. is yes, and 1b. is no, does this dual-boot
>> requirement apply to both BIOS and UEFI?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 3. If resources cannot meet the dual-boot requirement by ship time,
>> should the installer inform the user that their previous installation
>> will be preserved but may not be bootable?
>
> I think that would be OK, if the warning is clear and you have to click
> a red button to bypass it.

No that's completely broken imo. It used to work in the past suddenly
breaking it
and telling our users "sorry you cannot boot your other os" is just
not acceptable.

So if you cannot met it for whatever reason you can either 1) revert
whatever change broke it or 2) delay the release