Re: Gnome 3.12 to Fedora20?

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 02:14:57PM +1000, Greg wrote:
> since i cant find anything new on this topic. im gonna ask . when is
> 3.12 gonna be pushed to the Fedora repo's?  or is it still in
> Discussion? if it is can someone point me to where i can follow the
> conversation about this please.

It's still pending discussion, but there hasn't been much of that following
the initial flurry.

It might be useful to collect possible blockers:

1. Extension compatibility -- no one answered my question about the accuracy
   of the popularity sort at <https://extensions.gnome.org/>. It looks like
   most of the most popular extensions _are_ updated, and maybe a
   concentrated effort could be made on, say, the top 20 that aren't yet.

2. Extension upgrades -- if we can install and activate drago01's extension
   which notifies users of out-of-date extensions, users will still get
   broken extensions after the upgrade but will at least get a notification
   explaining what to do.

3. The UI change overall -- yes, this would be an exception to policy. But,
   sheesh, have you seen the Firefox 29 changes that just went live? That
   has a much bigger impact on my practical UI than any GNOME 3.10 -> 3.12
   changes.

4. Possible regression bugs not yet resolved?

5. Possible problems with new versions affecting other desktops?

6. Other?

--
Matthew Miller    --   Fedora Project    --    <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                  "Tepid change for the somewhat better!"