Re: default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

On Feb 26, 2014 2:11 PM, "Adam Williamson" <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2014-02-26 at 15:32 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
>
> > > It is kind of a significant convenience, though, and I agree Josh kinda
> > > underplayed it. Losing the ability to install alongside full-disk
> > > Windows installations without asking the user to do some pre-flight work
> > > themselves would be a significant loss.
> >
> > The question was about XFS's lack of ability to shrink.  Not Windows.
> > In that context, and in the context Pete is talking about, XFS being
> > able to shrink really isn't a factor.  Windows is already installed,
> > and you'll be shrinking that filesystem to make room for a Fedora
> > install, not the other way around.
>
> yeah, I noticed the context switch in my follow-up email, sorry. I do
> think the 'user wants to install something else alongside Fedora' case
> is worth caring about at least a little bit, but having custom part
> available is probably good enough.
> --
> Adam Williamson

Right, my concern is users shrinking Fedora to make room for something else. Admittedly not a common circumstance, but one guaranteed to cause an uproar in the enthusiast community, ie potential contributor pool. Not coders on the whole, but there's plenty of room for such in the Fedora community. It is a preventable issue, and I'd like the community repercussions to be weighed against the technical merits of an unshrinkable default filesystem.

--Pete