Re: Technical Spec, better upgrade/rollback control

On 02/21/2014 12:46 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> The Workstation PRD includes "better upgrade/rollback control"
> under plans & policies.
>
> "• Better upgrade/rollback control If there are any problems with
> an upgrade or an upgrade breaks a configuration script we want to
> offer an easy way for users to roll-back such upgrades and
> changes."
>
> The Technical Specification doesn't address this requirement. And
> I'm also not finding anything in the list archives about it.
>
> I'm aware of three possible candidates for implementing snapshots
> and rollbacks:
>
> a.) Roller Derby Project: It lists a dependency on LVM Thin
> Provisioning, which is a new option in Fedora 20. I'm uncertain if
> it's considered stable for production use or not. Also uncertain
> is if the project is adaptable for Btrfs, although it seems likely.
>  https://fedorahosted.org/roller-derby/
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Rollback
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel-announce/2013-July/001204.html

The

Roller Derby project is one that's being developed by Colin
Walters and myself, though it's still pre-alpha and temporarily on
hiatus while other more immediate priorities have our attention. I'd
recommend against relying on this for the immediate future, but as a
long-term solution, we hope to make it the best answer. And yes, BTRFS
support will be included. It wasn't done in the PoC simply because
BTRFS isn't generally considered safe for production use yet.

> b.) Snapper: Lists a dependency on either LVM Thin Provisioning,
> or Btrfs. Snapper+Btrfs is the most mature and actively maintained
> option at this time. It's presently used in openSUSE, by default
> when the file system is Btrfs, for at least a couple of years.
> https://github.com/openSUSE/snapper/blob/master/README
> http://snapper.io/ http://snapper.io/faq.html

Snapper is nice, but it's lacking a few features (namely the ability
to recover data if you have to jump backwards in time). It's probably
an acceptable short-term solution if we need coarse rollback immediately.

> c. ) Gnome: Richard Hughes has expressed interest in making this
> happen within Gnome. As far as I know it doesn't yet exist, but is
> expected to depend on either Btrfs or LVM Thin Provisioning
> snapshots.

I'd strongly recommend that Richard get aboard the Roller Derby
project so we can focus our efforts.

> Am I missing any others?
>
> It seems to me the PRD requirement necessitates some assessment of
> file systems, the various snapshotting/rollback strategies and
> software, before the spec can detail an implementation. Should the
> facts as they're presently known be included in the spec in the
> meantime, with a TDB status?

I should note that the PRD is not generally intended to be a guidepost
for the very next version of Fedora. It's acceptable to work towards
those goals over several releases.