Re: How Do I Prevent Apps from Opening in Maximized view (SOLVED - sort of)

On 08/03/2012 03:12 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
On Fri, Aug 03, 2012 at 02:48:05PM -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
On 08/02/2012 06:21 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
<snip>

I believe this happens any time the initial size of the window is "close" to maximized.

I don't know off hand if there's a way to turn that off out of the box, but I don't think so.

--Ray

Thanks for the response it gave me an idea that works.  Seems if I
alt-F5 to unmaxize the app's screen, then make it somewhat smaller
and then normally exit the app, the next time it is auto started
when I logon to G3 shell, it is NOT maximized.

I see that with the current version of gnome shell, the idea is that
an app should take up the entire screen when it is opened.
Hopefully that will change sometime with the addition of a user
parameter to change the behavior.

I don't think this statement is correct.  Applications opened up for
the first time don't start maximized.  I just tested this on F17
x86_64 with an app I've never used before and the window opened as a
normal size.

If I understand Ray properly, this behavior happens if the earlier
state of the window (or whatever size it starts with by default) was
close to maximized.

To test that, I just opened up the same app, increased its window size
to very large (but not maximized), and closed it.  When I opened it
again, it started maximized.

I wasn't talking about apps opened the first time. I was looking for a way to prevent apps from opening maximized and thought there was a default gconf or dconf parm that could be set/reset to prevent it. Ray's response led me to resizing the open app window to a smaller size somewhat less than close to maximized, closing it normally and on subsequent opens, it was not maximazed.

--
Regards,
OldFart