Re: tracker in F16

Hi Adam,

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 14:01 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> oop, good catch. I did suspect it's going to become more a part of the
> GNOME Experience from now on, though I think I missed the bit where
> tracker beat zeitgeist =)

Yeah, tracker is a required dependency of gnome-documents now. As
Bastien says, we should try to identify and fix possible bugs and
resource issues upstream.

I also think tracker should use a different default configuration; these
are the changes I think we should make:
- removable media indexing should be off by default - I don't know if
this is used by the totem grilo integration, but it's not by
gnome-documents. Anyway, I think the best way to approach this is
tracker should just be aware of removable media and applications who
make use of them should be able to have them crawled on-demand, but that
needs fixing in tracker first.
- indexing should be enabled on battery - right now it's disabled. If we
disable indexing on battery, applications like gnome-documents will be
"locked" into the last view of the local file entries in the tracker
database before you unplugged the cable, which is very ugly.

Having used tracker on by default for a bit now it seems that after the
initial crawling, which is an expensive operation, I didn't notice any
particular increase in resource usage. With removable devices indexing
off, this should ideally be a one-shot operation.

As a side note, I also took some time to clean up the tracker spec file
a bit (patches at [1]); I think the flickr miner (which doesn't use
g-o-a and is not easily configurable) should be split in a separate
package, disabled by default.

[1] http://people.gnome.org/~cosimoc/tracker-patches/

Cosimo