Re: Hotot micro blogging client

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got annoyed with the slow development of Pino for the 0.3 rewrite
> (only a single developer and identi.ca support is broken)  and Gwibber
> development seems apparently stagnated too and I heard the upstream
> development has switched platforms as well.  Looking for replacement,  I
> bumped into hotot which I have been using for a while and I have
> packaged and built it for for Rawhide and Fedora 15
>
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/hotot-0.9.5-3.20110331hg.fc15,pywebkitgtk-1.1.8-1.fc15
>
> Hotot is under active development and somewhere near the alpha state,
> the UI is pretty nice and functional.   While I am not advocating a swap
> of defaults yet,  I would ask desktop SIG folks to take a look.  I would
> like to hear feedback from users as well.

I've used hotot off and on, and have to say that my opinion runs hot
and cold. In its favor, the ui (timeline in particular) is fairly
nicely designed, and its strongest features basically covers all the
features that are weakest in gwibber - native retweet support,
managing follows/unfollows, profile info, etc.. However, gwibber wins
hands-down when it comes to managing multiple accounts and streams
(even if you just limit consideration to twitter and identi.ca
services). Because of the number of accounts I manage (personal and
work-related), gwibber remains my primary choice.