Re: gdm changes and the live cd

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 19:46 +0100, Julian Aloofi wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 05.03.2011, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Ville-Pekka Vainio:
> > pe, 2011-03-04 kello 18:25 -0500, Matthias Clasen kirjoitti:
> > > The session will start in English, and
> > > users who need a different language will have to select the language in
> > > System Settings > Region and re-login.
> >
> > This will make things very difficult for users who don't know English
> > well. With the previous version of GDM, we could at least explain the
> > language selection with one screenshot, because the login screen was so
> > simple.
> >
> > If GDM won't support language selection any more, then we should come up
> > with another simple way for choosing the language before login. Maybe in
> > the GRUB screen, like Ubuntu apparently does it?
> >
> > --
> > Ville-Pekka Vainio
> >

> The language selection in the ISOLINUX screen sounds like a good
> solution. It's what openSUSE and Ubuntu are doing as well and therefore
> shouldn't be too hard to implement.
> It would also have the huge advantage to solve this problem for the
> other desktops as well, who have not yet found a way of dealing with
> this it seems (KDE, XFCE and LXDE all autologin you to an english
> desktop).
>
> CCing the spins list as this might be an interesting thread for them.

Language selection before GDM is a good idea, but it should be done in
an X interface, so we can use translations, multiple windows, etc.
Rather than a straight list of languages written in a script that the
users might not know, with fonts that would leave to be desired.

To put it another way, it should be firstboot with only one question.