Re: design and communication issues [was Re: How do we change fonts now]

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 22:32, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We're trying really hard to stay on message and keep people in the
> wider community informed and then I see threads like this
> <http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/2011-February/097081.html> where a Red Hat employee *paid* to work on the desktop somehow manages to throw factually inaccurate gasoline on an already burning fire. It's really disheartening.

> I actually banged my head on my desk when you did that.

I did ask you to correct me if I was wrong...but I'm not sure I was.
That's the way I remember it being presented during the Test Day...and
there's still no reboot option in GNOME 3 as of right now.

You may have banged your head on the desk, but you don't appear to have
actually replied and provided correct information, whatever that may be;
I don't see a single post from you in that thread. I don't actually see
a post from anyone on the desktop or GNOME teams.

I saw the flurry of frantic IRC conversations among your coworkers scrambling to figure out which one of them was going to set you straight. That's the only reason I was made aware of the thread.

It's also not easy to find the correct information. People who have
issues with GNOME 3 design are generally referred to gnome3.org, or the
FAQ at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/FAQ , or the design
whiteboards at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards ;
I've been looking through all this stuff for ten minutes and I can't
find anything that accurately reflects the current actual status of the
shutdown/restart/suspend design. The document on this -
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SystemStopRestart -
refers explicitly to a 'Restart' option which does not exist in my
up-to-date F15 system. So what *is* the party line here, anyway?

What I hope you would take away from my admonishment and suggestion is only the suggestion component: lurk on the IRC channel so you can pop over and ask *before* you respond. Often times, the discussion to come up with the right response is itself informative.

I'm not paid to work on the desktop, by the way. I'm paid to test stuff,
or rather, to facilitate community testing of stuff. As far as that
goes, I will work professionally to ensure that we do as much as we can
to test that GNOME 3 does what it's designed to do. But *personally*,
I'm just a GNOME user - a longstanding GNOME user - who is, like many
other GNOME users, rather frustrated by a lot of the design choices made
in GNOME 3, which seem to target a potential audience whose chances of
materializing are at best dubious, in preference to the audience of
real, existing GNOME users. I perfectly understand the different
possible positions on this, but I assert my right to represent mine. I'm
raising my personal issues here, I'm not representing Red Hat or Fedora
QA.

Sure. And I understand that. But I think you might feel differently if you had a chance to get a more nuanced answer from the decision makers involved in an interactive forum like IRC and then you could, perhaps, pass along that nuanced position more effectively.

You *are* doing a good job as evidenced by the vast majority of the messages that you send to test@ but I hope that you see that I'm suggesting a subtle change in your work flow that might, at least, make the F15 release go slightly better.