Re: GNOME 3 Test Days

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 09:47 -0600, Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 15:31 +0000, Rui Tiago CaÃÃo Matos wrote:
> > On 1 December 2010 15:25, Adam Miller <maxamillion@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > This might be a horrible noob question since I've been out of the loop
> > > for almost all of the F14 cycle and I'm just trying to get back up to
> > > speed so I can help with F15, but is there a "failsafe" for gnome3
> > > that will allow the shell to revert to a 2D interface in the event of a
> > > graphics card that can't do compositing?
> >
> > Not sure how current this still is, but:
> >
> > http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/Fallback
> >
> > Rui
>
> Is Gnome 3 and the Shell both in rawhide currently and can be tested
> already or is there more work to do before ready for evaluating (or at
> least enough to not crash every 2 secs)?

I know it's working usably for at least one person (hno on IRC) with an
Intel card. For me, on an NVIDIA 9400 GT, it basically hangs when run
(won't take any input once a window is drawn); Ben Skeggs has the same
card in one of his test machines and is looking at it. Don't have any
data past that - I've been kind of assuming a few people are using it
and it works, but not on the basis of any particular evidence :)

it still has a lot of raw edges. GTK+3 apps, at present, seem to be very
uglily (is that a word?) themed, for some reason - some all-grey theme
that looks like it came from a 1996 Solaris machine or something - and
there's lots of other sharp edges.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey