Re: laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 19:34 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 16.10.2010, 18:42 +0200 schrieb Martin Sourada:
> > On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:12 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > >
> > > broffice and xfce are the two that went over their targets. They need to
> > > get back under 703 MiB. Games was almost hit, but still has enough cushion
> > > that I can handle the hedgewars small increase in size which will be
> > > showing up in a push tomorrow unless it gets negative karma before then.
> > > But I'm still pretty close and will probably still implement whatever
> > > we do for broffice and xfce.
> > >
> > AFAIK XFCE should require only -single, unless they pull
> > gnome-desktop(3) for some reason.
>
> libgnome-desktop is required by cheese, control-center and
> gnome-settings-daemon. We could drop cheese, but we wont get rid of the
> rest:
>       * control-center is required by gnome-bluetooth
>       * gnome-settings-daemon is required by gdm
>
> There is no alternative to gdm and gnome-blueetooth [1].
>
> > That grew by 1MB, probably due to
> > increased complexity of the wallpaper. I'd investigate this one more
> > throughout if I were you.
>
> If I were or a member of the design team I would not push changes like
> this one that late. I think this level of carelessness is inappropriate.

This is how design works. You cannot make time-of-day versions of the
wallpaper sooner than you have final design. You cannot make time-of-day
versions at all if you are late with the final design...

> There are three solutions:
>       * A gnome-desktop-libs package, but it is too late to change for
>         F14.
That would be sensible and probably better solution F15 onward.

>       * Make gnome-desktop not depend on system-backgrounds-gnome.
That would work as short term solution, but we have to be very careful
to install s-b-g wherever gnome desktop is installed and uses
system-wide default wallpaper.

>       * Revert the changes on laughlin-backgrounds-gnome.
You'd have the whole design-team against you for that...

Martin