Re: laughlin-backgrounds-gnome size increase

On Sat, 2010-10-16 at 11:02 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 17:36:53 +0200,
>   Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > There shouldn't be, it's handled directly via package/virtual provides
> > (there is usually more than 1 file require so it would quickly get
> > messy). With that said, the default wallpaper selection could be handled
> > probably more cleanly, I have some ideas which I'd like to try for F15,
> > but they wouldn't prevent this case from happening as we never know
> > sufficiently far ahead whether we'll do time-of-day wallpaper and it
> > always appear no sooner than the final version of wallpaper...
>
> As long as there is a way for ks files to get just the simpler wallpaper
> the ones that are tight on space can be set to use the simpler one and
> last minute changes in the package shouldn't be that big of a deal. (But
> if there is a large change in size, it would still be best to get it in
> a little bit earlier.)
>
> We still need a plan to deal with the immediate problem. You mentioned some
> areas I wasn't aware of when I made my previous proposal. Can you combine
> what you described above with what I mentioned so far and propose a way
> forward that we can implement this weekend?
For the immediate problem -- I'm not sure what is better packaging-wise,
but I could do one of the following
      * move -gnome into -gnome-tod (with the virtual provides and
        perhaps obsolete -gnome < 14.1.0), create the needed xmls and
        put them into -gnome
      * create the needed xmls and put them into -gnome-simple (less
        work)

In order to help you solve your problem the best would be to create
these two sub-packages in a way that the xmls would be the same and thus
in direct conflict. I'm not sure how to properly handle the defaults
yet. Perhaps adding the virtual provide to the -simple one as well, but
the we'd have to make sure to correct package is pulled in...

Any better ideas?

Martin