Re: the orca screen reader in f14

Hi Jonathon,

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Jonathan Nadeau <nadeau.jon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I'm a blind Linux user and i'm not sure if this is the right list. I
> was wondering if you could package speech-dispatcher with orca instead
> of gnome-speech? The reason why I ask is because orca is working a lot
> with speech-dispatcher for better performance and by using
> speech-dispatcher orca works better with pulseaudio. Orca does not
> work well with gnome-speech if pulseaudio is implamented into the os
> it causes orca to be delayed with how fast it responds when keyboard
> commands are given to read the screen or do other actions. In f13 I'm
> running now but that is only because I had to tweek it to get better
> performance. If this change was made to speech-dispatcher this would
> give a better experience out of the box for new users or even blind
> users who want to switch to Fedora or at least try it out. Thanks for
> your time and help and all the hard work.

I'm the maintainer of speed-dispatcher in fedora. I know it has a few
issues which I'm working to get fixed in Fedora 14 and then backported
to the other releases. I'm aware of one issue with KDE but I would
like know what changes you had to make to ensure speech-dispatcher
worked for you in gnome so that I can get the issues resolved.

Cheers,
Peter