Re: Speed up user login into desktop.

On Fri, 20.08.10 09:24, Adam Williamson (awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-08-20 at 00:05 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > [1] We wrote C replacements for all remaining shell scripts in the
> > boot
> > and in shutdown, with the exception of LVM, DM, iSCSI and NFS stuff,
> > which are shell orgies. But then again, neither of these features
> > really
> > matter for laptops where fast booting is most important
>
> Fedora uses LVMs by default, so anyone who installs Fedora on a laptop
> and doesn't customize the partition scheme will have them.

Well, I believe Fedora should not do this by default. This just adds
complexity, makes boot slower, and offers exactly zero advantages for
laptop/desktop users. Also, sooner or later LVM will be obsoleted anyway
by btrfs which integrates most of the LVM features into the fs
itself. And in contrast to LVM the btrfs userspace is kinda nice.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.