Re: What ever happen to current locale in Gnome terminal?

  On 07/15/2010 01:27 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:39 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

>>> "There used to be" is a little too vague.
>>>
>>> Have you used it just yesterday, and now its gone, or do you remember it
>>> from 2002 ? And what version of gnome-terminal are you talking about ?
>> This happened whenever routine 'terminal-encoding.c' option had been
>> commented out of the encoding menu possibilities.
>> This was done without any comment in the code of the actual reason why
>> this had been done or what replaced it functionality.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> static const struct {
>>    const char *charset;
>>    const char *name;
>> } encodings[] = {
>> // { "UTF-8", N_("Current Locale") },<--- !!!!!
>>    { "ISO-8859-1", N_("Western") },
>>    { "ISO-8859-2", N_("Central European") },
>>    { "ISO-8859-3", N_("South European") },
>>
> You haven't answered any of my questions, but you are halfway there.
> After identifying the offending code, a bit of git blame will tell you
> who and why

Neither have you answered any of mine but git will tell you when the
code was changed and in what Fedora release that change ended up in as
it will tell me why is what I could have responded with if I wanted to
sink to your level of response.

Anyway since Gnome-Terminal 2.23 I believe which probably was F9 and
earlier release and it does not work in current ( F13 ).

You don't actually start to notice the usefulness ( and the lack ) of
having this ( and the nuance and headache that comes with the point and
click ) until you start to work in a multi encoded/locale Environment (
yes this is an old nugget stored in a file and pulled fourth when needed
again ).

So the end it's not a matter of when, why or who changed this ( Let's
just assume it was done for a very good reason ) but more if there is
another now preferred method were I can achieve same/similar
functionality in the examples I showed earlier, in Gnome terminal today
( which hopefully works in future releases ) without having to resulting
to point and click only alternative.

JBG