Re: packages using gsettings

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 23:44 +0100, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 22:04 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > GConf is finally on the way out, it is being replaced by
> > GSettings/DConf. From a packaging perspective, the following facts are
> > important to know if your package starts using GSettings:
>
> Do you have a reference handy for more general information about the new
> system - what's changed, what the rationale/benefits are etc? Thanks.

GSettings:
http://blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2009/06/09/some-nice-gsettings-facts/

And as you can see "many backends".

GConf is a possible backend, but we'll soon switch to dconf:
http://live.gnome.org/dconf

This also means being able to use plists on MacOS X, or the registry on
Windows. GSettings lives in glib, and dconf will use the dbus support in
glib as well. So it will reduce the dependency stack of a lot of GNOME
and GTK+ software (and probably make some XFCE and LXDE projects
redundant when the only difference was the avoidance of GConf).