Re: Developer Experience

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 05:09:03PM -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Is this development of other software, or development of Fedora?  There
> > are numerous packages and setups that make sense if you're a Fedora
> > developer, less so if you're an upstream developer.  Or does it not
> > matter and we're talking about both?
>
> How do you differentiate a Fedora developer and an upstream developer?
>  I'm not sure being a Fedora developer is particularly interesting.
>
> I guess I don't think most people are interested in writing an OS.
> But seems lots of people are interested in writing apps and dellvering
> them to users.  So I was referring to that: app development.  And here
> I'm not excluding web apps either.  There is a strong case being made
> for html5 as a development platform.

Hope this isn't a noise post.  I don't have a lot of insight to offer
to what developers might expect in an optimal environment, since the
best I can do is piddle around with PyGTK.  But I did want to say I
think this is an interesting and important problem to work on.

I've been to and heard reports about what I think of, maybe
unintentionally tritely, as downstream developer events, where Fedora
is not in as wide a use as I think we'd like, including PyCon and
RubyCon.  These are folks who use open source frameworks and languages
to do their work but are most concerned about an effective developer
platform, not the OS itself.  They might be designing, say, the next
Facebook, and it would be great if Fedora was their choice for doing
that.  (Right now, their choice is probably a Mac based on what I've
seen at these conferences.)

We actually have a few people in Fedora who are examples of this --
such as Luke Macken, who develops Moksha[1].  I think Luke currently
uses vim, but it might be worthwhile to find out what sorts of
features would appeal to a developer like him.