Re: Firewall

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 17:04 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So I know we've had long threads about this on fedora-devel but it
> isn't clear to me anything came out of them.  Maybe we can be more
> specific.
>
> Does our current firewall policy for the desktop install make sense?

No.

> Does a firewall add any value at all?

A little.

> Should we have a bidirectional firewall?

We really only block incoming communications right now, and it's
probably as much of a security risk as opening all the ports, as far as
I'm concerned.

> Other thoughts?  I'd be interested to know if we at least have rough
> agreement between people who have written or maintain network
> listening services like David, Lennart, Colin, and Owen.

I'm already discussing this behind closed doors with a few people,
including some RH security people. I'll restart the "negotiations" this
week.

Cheers