Re: Fuse Workspace Union

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 10:08 +0200, Stef Bon wrote:
> 2010/4/29 Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Thu, 2010-04-29 at 12:35 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> Hello there,
> >>
> >> I just received a phone call from Stef Bon, a fellow Dutchman who's been
> >> working on a Fuse technology based module to make it easier, and more
> >> transparent, to a user, to mount, navigate and use pluggable storage devices
> >> and network resources like Samba shares.
> >
> > From a quick glance, this is something that gvfs already offers,
> > user-space filesystems and fuse integration for non-GIO applications.
> Well there are some important differences. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the
> Gnome VFS is providing a browing facility for applications, and if you're not a
> Gnome App, and there fore cannot make use of these libaries, you'll
> have to use the
> fuse module.

Non-GIO applications can still browse already mounted sources. Note that
in all of your demos, you're using a file manager to browse those
filesystems. Browsing the file system with a GIO-using file manager
(Thunar or nautilus) would work about the same.

> Mine is completely based on the fuse module (and the automounter to do
> the mounting)
> and does not depend on the desktop environment, it's just a level
> lower: the filesystem.
>
> Second, I'm working on inotify, still thinking how to make it work.
> Does it already work with Gvfs?

Yes. See the g_file_monitor*() functions.

> Futher  locking, extended attributes, and seeking in afile is
> supported by mine. Does Gvfs also?

We don't have locking support, but the rest works fine.

> Finally mine lacks good integration with hal (udisk) for local devices
> to export the directory
> where a device is available for the user.

We have that as well.

Cheers