Re: PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 18:05 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> I just imported lxpolkit into CVS, but it's not yet build because I
> don't want to break anything.
>
> We now have 3 PolicyKit-authentication-agents in Fedora:
>       * polkit-gnome
>       * polkit-kde
>       * lxpolkit
>
> As you can see lxpolkit has the shortest name and will therefore be
> chosen by yum if anything requires PolicyKit-authentication-agent (ATM
> system-config-samba and system-config-services). There is no problem
> having several agents installed but we need to make sure that only one
> gets started at a time.

First, PolicyKit-authentication-agent is a holdover from the old days
when the package was called PolicyKit, not polkit, and things worked in
different ways.

Second, we should just get rid of the PolicyKit-authentication-agent
virtual package - mechanisms/policy agents like system-config-samba
(which I believe is both a mechanism and a policy agent) etc. should not
be concerned with whether the administrator has configured the system
correctly.

As the polkit docs clearly spells out, it is the responsibility of each
environment to provide authentication agents that register with the
polkit authority - see

 http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/polkit-agents.html

The way it should work is this

 - polkit-gnome, lxpolkit, polkit-kde etc. should NOT provide an
   autostart desktop file. These packages really just provide code; in
   particular they MUST NOT encode policy e.g. make assumptions that
   people would want to run their code.

 - Packages containing environments like GNOME, KDE, LXDE should
   - Require a suitable polkit authentication agent, e.g. polkit-gnome
   - Ensure itself the authentication agent is started
     - this can be done via hard-coding stuff in gnome-session.c or
       using an autostart file or whatever

     David