Re: Managed Desktop...

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

Firefox, Mail Client, Office products, NetworkManager, PowerManagement?

Then sabayon++ can add or remove applications from the menu system and autostarting.

Then I and other package maintainers could ship desktop users like xguest user, or corporate desktop user and only run the apps that are appropriate to that type of user.

The biggest benefit for the SELinux team is we can write policy that is appropriate to the type of user. Currently xguest policy has to dontaudit xguest_t sending dbus messages to packagekit, just because the packagekit client starts by default. If we have the ability to customize my xguest desktop environment, and future proof it, then we can remove the dontaudit. If a xguest user tries to start packagekit client, that would be an audited event.

Forgetting about SELinux, I believe this would be compelling to administrators of large networks of desktops.

Isn't this what the reduced functionality/options interface that kde used to offer (and maybe still do) is for?

-sv