Re: Sudo for first user

On 10/04/2008 08:09 PM, Colin Walters wrote:
4) Does it still make sense to have a root password (and root account)?

Of course!

Isn't the strong point of Unix/Linux/etc. the security model where one makes a *distinction* between ordinary user and the "super-user" root?

I.e. why make a user the "super-user", or make one user be able to use all root's commands simply by using sudo? This means that if the users password gets known, that persons account will get you the same privileges as root.

Why not instead try to educate people to use a really strong password for root, only use root when necessary, and perhaps teach them to add certain not-that-dangerous-commands to sudo?

For me it looks as if you want to go away from the security model used for years, I ask myself, why?

/Lars
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars@xxxxxxxx>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/