Re: i686 (and likely x86_64) Live image not fitting on CD

Colin Walters wrote:

Well, my ideal on this would be that we land the infrastructure for
automatically creating them daily or even more frequently, and then we
work on committing changes to the kickstart file via peer review.

This would be ideal but I am not sure waiting for it is really the right thing to do. As a side note, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu etc are doing more intermediate alpha and beta releases than Fedora does. We should be considering that. Ubuntu is doing daily builds of images as well.

To help with size issues in particular I don't see a need to
distribute the result - it should be enough to describe the
change+patch ("moved help files into separately downloadable package",
"use bzip2 on changelogs", etc) here.

I think, if we are generating images on a more regular basis, we should be doing more than just checking the size. There is a valuable opportunity for integration testing from the wider community and getting more earlier feedback on experimental changes such as swapping Pidgin with Empathy. This however requires distributing the composed images.

The problems I see with it are these:

1) Bandwidth and disk space

2) How do you trust and verify composes done outside the Fedora infrastructure?

3) Branding conflicts with unofficial composes

Rahul