Re: Patch: timed progressbar for plymouth-plugin-spinfinity

Bastien Nocera escribió:
On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 00:12 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
Bastien Nocera escribió:
Using 'timebar:2' modifies the percentage calculation to use an
exponential function - this makes the bar run faster at first, then slow
as it approaches 100%. This makes startup seem even faster. Seriously!
Awesome. Humans are so gullible.
True, though I can think of ONE situation where faster boot times are desirable: laptop users. For the minute or so it takes my laptop to boot and initiate my session (no automatic session start, though), if the battery is at full 100% charge, it will eat 5% of the charge during that minute... Just do some math here and at that rate, should anything happen during boot (like the scan of the largest partition on the drive), there's only 20 or so minutes of power.

I didn't say _actual_ faster boots were not desirable, just that a
perceived faster boot was a good thing. FWIW, if you can only get 20
minutes of battery from your laptop, it's time to buy a new battery...

Well is not like I can only get 20 minutes of power out of it, is that during boot the system seems to be on an "all-on" state that draws immense amounts of power. Before all the power-saving features kick in, power drainage is very heavy. Once they're all in place I have at least 2 hours worth of battery juice. I was pointing out the immense amount of power boot up requires, at least as of F8 (I can't install F9 yet on this one due to graphics problems I experienced with a previous attempt)