Re: Gimp vs GNU Image Manipulation Program

Matej Cepl wrote:
On 2008-03-24, 23:46 GMT, Brian Pepple wrote:
I believe this is a question for upstream, since as far as I'm aware we don't modify the name in the supplied desktop file.

OK, than IMHO this is stupid, but their problem.

I'll argue this is *our* problem. The Fedora Desktop is not just a bunch of packages thrown together, it is supposed to be more than that: have consistency and a vision behind it.

As a long time GIMP user, with my memory muscle trained to find it in the menu, it was a pain for me (and I sill have not recovered completely) to launch it, I still look for The Gimp and see GNU something.

Here is how the Graphics menu looks on my F8 desktop:
Agave
FontForge
Fyre
GNU Image Manipulation Program
gThumb Image Viewer
Inkscape Vector Graphics Editor
ScannerTool

Quite inconsistent, but if I would try to apply some logic, it would look like the application name is "GNU" and the description is "Image Manipulation Program".