Re: metacity compositor in rawhide

Hi,

Ray Strode wrote:
For turning on compositing, perhaps that should be in the "desktop effects" dialog that Fedora has now?
Why would we ever want the user to be in an environment where
compositing isn't available?  I mean, why do we want an off button?
If COMPOSITE is found, I think metacity should leverage it (at least
do automatic compositing at a minimum).

Even for remote X it probably makes sense to have
compositing on I think (less redraws).

My assumption here is that we don't have a way to automatically know if compositing works and is fast enough. I definitely agree that when we do have that info, which we should, it would be unacceptable to have a config option.

Basically I think the config option means "test out beta window manager and X server" - at the point that we think the stuff really works and is not just a beta, the config option is silly.

There might still be options for whether to have drop shadows, transparency, etc., I don't know, but we wouldn't have an option for whether to use the COMPOSITE extension.

Havoc