Re: Current Xorg behavior is unfriendly at best

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On 9/15/07, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 01:46:03AM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
Ever since the behavior of having Xorg guess resolutions has been
implemented, I have little to no luck with it.
It's been pretty good to me. What video cards are you using?

Aside from the one in my smolt profile, I've also attempted in
Parallels on a Mac, and I believe an embedded Nvidia chipset on an HP
machine, sorry, can't recall details more than this

It might be worth taking a look at how debian and ubuntu do it, with dexconf and xdebconfigurator -

http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/8/xdebconfigurator.html

I'm still trying to figure out how dexconf, via xdebconfigurator I believe, seems to more correctly configure X to use 1024x768 or larger under qemu, wheras xorg by itself as is configured with f7/f8t2 only comes up in 800x600, which looks pretty lame.

I don't know if getting xdebconfigurator to work on fedora is possible. It looks like a conglomeration of various tools, none of which is apparently yet so capable that debian/ubuntu feel it can be relied on exclusively.

For instance, I suspect the -r option uses this read-edid tool, which I was using on a mandrake livecd I built 6 years ago, to good effect.

If you want to try it out to see what it is capable of, I suggest just burning and booting ubuntu-7.04, or perhaps a recent build of the debian-gnome-livecd

http://live.debian.net/cdimage/weekly-builds/

Good luck,

-dmc