Re: low-hanging fruit

Hello,

I imagine all the talk about this new "spin" is an official spin? I've heard it referred to as a "windows xp/mac os x" style spin. This kind of phrasing doesn't live well in my ears. I left those proprietary blobs to get away from the over-rated usability of these OSes. Is it a good goal for the Fedora project to really adopt a policy to make "Desktop" spin that doesn't introduce the user to tried-and-true security practices like the root account? (thats just one example I've seen listed in this thread) Sure it may make it more easily-adoptable perhaps then slightly more user adoption, but for completely the wrong reasons. Also, I would think it'd be bad if a user downloads the "Desktop" version of Fedora and then decides to try the "Fedora" spin of Fedora and has a completely different user experience. If people want to spend time on a more "user-friendly" spin, I guess more power to them, but certainly a "let's follow windows/mac" mentality shouldn't be the mission statement.

Maybe I don't understand the "Desktop"-distro market, I've always considered my computer more of a workstation.

-Brian