Re: PulseAudio

On 2/27/07, David Zeuthen <davidz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oh please. Keep this discussion technical.

I meant exactly what I said.  It was not intended as a personal attack.

Either we do things right or we don't do them at all. No more hacks for
benefit in the short run. Please.

> Impossibility of emulation.  Emulation is not optional.  We do not
> make forward progress by throwing all the current users under the bus.
>  This is *the* reason esd was a resounding failure.

Users can use LD_PRELOAD for such broken apps that we can't patch to
live in this century. We all know that /dev/dsp is fundamentally broken
and no-one but people living stuck in the 90's are using it.

LD_PRELOAD is a fragile hack that wasn't enough to save ESD.  Either
we do things right or we don't do them at all. No more hacks for
benefit in the short run. Please.

> No, it does not.

Heck, so uid 501 can poke the streams created by uid 500? That's a show
stopper just because of security implications. Do you disagree?

I agree it's not acceptible in the mid/long term.  However, this is
already what Ubuntu and Debian do today.

That's only because PA decides to open the device directly and haven't
been taught to give it up on session inactivity. That's not hard to
change and it's the right thing to do *anyway* since we probably want a
default policy where audio is muted from inactive sessions just like
video is muted.

And that's no different than if pulse was a system daemon that listened to dbus.

Heck, we're getting revoke() soon (see #230006) so whether the PA
instance in a session likes it or not it's going to have access to the
sound device revoked. It just needs to cope with that *just like* it
needs to cope with devices being hot-removed.

revoke is just such a .... stunningly... idiotic idea....

Well, there's no politics here apart from wishing not to introduce
short-term hacks that will haunt us for ever.

I can't take you seriously when you keep saying that, then pushing LD_PRELOAD.

What is the view of all this from PA upstream? I talked a lot to Lennart
at LCA about this and he said system-wide pulse was a non-starter
exactly for the reasons I listed.

That's partially because I convinced him so at GUADEC.  It took some arguing.

Monty