Re: Polishing stuff - gnome-filesystem package

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007, David Nielsen wrote:
søn, 18 02 2007 kl. 12:34 -0500, skrev David Zeuthen:

Also, even if we don't solve problem 3. until Fedora 8 I still think we
should do this. It's not like apps aren't hardcoding folders today..

Some of them are.. f-spot for one hardcodes ~/Photos much to my
annoyance because I have a setup entirely in Danish and it makes kittens
cry every time I see that one folder.. please think of the kittens.

Some apps hardcoding folder names doesn't make it a good idea that should be copied everywhere.

I don't see anything harmful in prepopulating new users home directories with some clues how you might want to organize your data, it might be helpful to a computer-illiterate. Just as long as you don't *force* those directories to be used (in other words, things don't break if you remove them and use what you want to use)

And no, I don't use F-Spot. I'm not going to change my >10 year old home directory structure just because some new application thinks it knows better than me.

	- Panu -