Re: directions in Fedora desktop project

Thilo Pfennig wrote:
Rahul Sundaram schrieb:
Impressions based on arbitrary numbers and random hunches are not very
useful. We are looking at collecting more concrete stats instead.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
Well absolute numbers are not very useful, especially when counted
worldwide. You get a better sense of  a distribution if you know what
people think.

Counting users, collecting hardware information etc is *very useful* exercise in itself that is different from surveys etc. Basic information that we collect currently is purely anonymous server side infrastructure. Analysis of these metrics can almost be completely automated.

We have also thoought about those problems at GNOME
marketing list http://live.gnome.org/CountingUsers The problems is the
quality of the data.

Yes, the metrics page discusses the pros and cons of different approaches in detail.

I think it would make much more sense if this would
be a combined effort that would be led by freedesktop.org, because
anyway we need measures that mist distributions or desktops accept. If
all do it differently you wil not have any relations you can count on.

So I would rather recommend to discuss such things on freedesktop-promo
( http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/FreedesktopMarketing).

Our current efforts on collecting metrics is not limited to the desktop and is not just a marketing effort. The particular list seems to be all about coordination between promoting desktop environments like GNOME, KDE etc which is important but doesnt seem very related to what we are trying to do here.

Rahul