Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] pilgrim livecd work

David Zeuthen wrote:
(adding back fedora-desktop-list as that Cc: field mysteriously
vanished.)

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 03:05 -0500, Jasper Hartline wrote:
You really should use the stock Fedora Core utilities however.
If you are making an installer to system from LiveCD, why not use Anaconda?

I'd rather ask; Why use anaconda? At the end of the day, installation is
a pretty basic task

 - yum install what you want
 - write out some configuration files
 - perform other post-installation configuration.

So, you know, I'd hate to replace < 100 lines of code by depending on
anaconda, which, I might add, is designed to do far more than the
relatively straightforward task of doing live cd's. I'm not even sure it
makes sense to carry around code in anaconda to facilitate live cd
installs but I'll leave that judgement call to the Anaconda developers.

FWIW, yum works perfectly fine and one goal of the pilgrim effort is to
make the process as robust as possible as well as being able to run on
host OS'es that are not super current. For example, the image I linked
to are built on an x86_64 RHEL4 box (though I had to put yum 2.9.* on
it).

There's also an historical angle here - pilgrim is the successor to the
now defunt olpc-image tools. Anaconda simply didn't allow to be used in
this way.

David,

How do you plan on performing upgrades when the live cd gets a install to hard disk feature?

Rahul