Re: A sound or music when your desktop is starting?

David Nielsen wrote:
tor, 17 08 2006 kl. 23:19 +0200, skrev Damien Durand:
Hi all,

What do you think about a sound or music when your gnome ok kde
desktop is starting? It's just an idea :-)

Not by default at least, it would add to startup time and general
annoyance - it's hard to find sounds that please everyone if not
impossible.

The same can be said about artwork for example. That by itself isnt a good argument.

Now I'm all for say collecting a package of nice sutle
sounds that the user can install for some audio feedback but I don't see
the case for enabling it by default.
In my experience most users who want this will add soundclips from the
internet of say their favorite cartoon or something like that. I doubt
we'll gain much by forcing a default "bling sound" on everyone.

We would only "force" sounds as much as we force a wallpaper or a window manager theme on everyone. Without good (defined as not being too long, jazzy etc) default sounds this particular functionality wouldnt even be realized by the user.

I for one wouldnt mind seeing a few different sound themes available in Fedora Core with one of them enabled by default.

Rahul