Re: Execute as Root GUI Admin Interfaces

Hi

PolicyKit looks interesting based on the discussions Rahul included. Correct me if I got it wrong, but would PolicyKit allow an administrator to set people up so they can do certain things as administrators (like mounting a disk) ? It looked like the user gets no challenge for authorization if they are set up to be able to do that. I actually think that is a problem. I think that when someone is executing with root privileges, they should be aware of it and consider whether they meant to do that. That is why I suggested a [SUDO]consolehelper. I am assuming that Rahul was referring to that as being a bad model. I agree that giving everyone this ability like UBUNTU does it is a problem. However, I do not agree that setting policies for a user and not reminding him/her what their action implies is any better.

Administrator can set policies for users to limit or allow tasks such as mounting a disk. Administrator can set local policies to be as restrictive or as lenient as they want.

Rahul

--

Fedora-desktop-list@xxxxxxxxxx