Re: Fedora-desktop-list Digest, Vol 2, Issue 3

fedora-desktop-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Send submissions to
fedora-desktop-list@xxxxxxxxxx

http://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-desktop-list
fedora-desktop-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx

fedora-desktop-list-owner@xxxxxxxxxx

than "Re: Contents of Fedora-desktop-list digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Gnome and Kde problem (jpgrdnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
2. Re: Gnome and Kde problem (Nils Philippsen)

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2004 10:48:16 -0700
From: jpgrdnr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Gnome and Kde problem
To: fedora-desktop-list@xxxxxxxxxx

Unable to start gnome or kde(as of Fedora Core Test 2). I get the startup
"Fedora Core" without the icons and then a freeze (I am still able to Ctrl
Alt Bkspace to the prompt). I've looked at the logs and have problems with
the Alsa driver and the esound. I had gnome problems since RH 9.
With Fedora Core 1 I could start kde by using gdm in root and then logging
into root with the session being kde. Kde no longer works with this method.

Would a reinstall be a good recommend as opposed to an update?
I'm running a Athlon XP1600+ /w 512 mgs ram, FX5600 (an Abit Siluro 256mb
version)
although I have gotten x to work (I dont see it being the video card)

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be great because I have an IBM R40
and FC T2 rocks on it!

Jon

------------------------------

Message: 2
Unable to start gnome or kde(as of Fedora Core Test 2). I get the startup
"Fedora Core" without the icons and then a freeze (I am still able to Ctrl
Alt Bkspace to the prompt). I've looked at the logs and have problems with
the Alsa driver and the esound. I had gnome problems since RH 9.
With Fedora Core 1 I could start kde by using gdm in root and then logging
into root with the session being kde. Kde no longer works with this method.

Would a reinstall be a good recommend as opposed to an update?
I'm running a Athlon XP1600+ /w 512 mgs ram, FX5600 (an Abit Siluro 256mb
version)
although I have gotten x to work (I dont see it being the video card)

Are you by chance using the nvidia supplied binary only drivers?

BTW, your question might be better suited for fedora-test-list.

Nils
--
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp@xxxxxxxxxx