Re: Site/Infrastructure management with Fedora ?

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 02:50:32PM -0500, Gabriel Somlo wrote:
> Assume a large-ish site, with distributed machine ownership/control. We
> control some, but some other groups control some other machines. We want

This probably isn't the best list for this. But a quick answer to some of
your questions:

>        - NIS/YP allows this, but can we use it for authorization w/o the
>        authentication bit, for which it was insecure last time I looked

Yes. You can use NIS for accounts with kerberos passwords.

>        - can we get LDAP to behave like this (I have no real experience
>        with LDAP, so kindly point me to the appropriate HowTo) :)

Be very aware that the "L" in LDAP is a relative term compared to the X.500
standard. In absolute terms, it's ridiculous. Particularly, OpenLDAP is an
administrative nightmare. Fedora Directory server may be better.

> 3. Network file system (AFS? NFS? SMB? other?) We need to:
>        - map to unix perms (ugo/rwx) (AFS doesn't do this, does it?)

You do not want to start a new AFS installation. Period. Not only does AFS
not do this, it's got a whole host of other problems.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>