Re: new s-c-soundcard in rawhide

Martin Stransky (stransky@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> Hello guys,
>
> there is a new version of s-c-s in rawhide (2.0.0). It has some new
> features like new GUI, proc&HAL detection, driver reloading and card
> ordering.
>
> I'll be happy for any feedback and/or BZ entries.

So...

The sound test failed when I had rhythmbox running.

Aside from that, the usage model seems very strange.

1) I'm supposed to pick a PCM device and know what the difference is
   between:

   Intel 82801DB-ICH4
   Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC ADC
   Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - MIC2 ADC
   Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - ADC2
   Intel 82801DB-ICH4 - IEC958

   intuitively? (Moreover, I'm asked to do this in two different places.)

2) I can choose to have no default audio card. Not sure that makes sense.

3) How is the user supposed to know whether to use kudzu, /proc, or HAL
   detection? Why are they even *given* a choice???

I'm failing to see what sort of usage case this is solving. Surely this
should all just work?

(I note we have a completely different Sound preference anyway, which is
somewhat simpler.)

Bill