redhat-config-soundcard behaves differently for FC3 x86 and x86_64?

Hi,

I'm a newbie around here, so apologies in advance for my shocking level of ignorance; hopefully someone around here can give me a clue?-)

I have been installing and re-installing Fedora Core 3 onto my Fujitsu-Siemens A1640 notebook (AMD Athlon64 3400+, 1Gb of RAM & 80 Gb hardisk) for most of the weekend; I have been alternating between the FC3 install DVDs for x86 and x86_64. Why, you might well ask? Well, the x86_64 FC3 does not play well with my Speedtouch 330 ADSL modem (basically, the kernel cannot load the speedtch kernel module), whereas x86 FC3 is fine with it... anyway, thats a different problem.

My observation about redhat-sound-config is as follows:
1. During installation (and subsequently), redhat-sound-config for x86_64 FC3 reports my soundcard as Vendor=Silicon, Model=Integrated Systems [SiS] Sound Controller, Module=snd-intel8x0, and clicking the "Play test sound" gives a perfect three-chord performance.
2. During installation (and subsequently), redhat-sound-config for x86 reports Vendor, Model and Module as above, but clicking the "Play test sound" *does not produce any sound*! I do not get any sound from Gnome apps either.

So, why is x86 FC3 silent on my machine, but x86_64 FC3 is okay?

I tried comparing the /etc/modprobe.config files but they look the same to me.
I tried running alsamixer and looking at the settings- they appear the same for each install; alsamixer reports card=SiS SI7012, chip=Realtek ALC655 rev 0, Item=External Amplifier.

So, I checked /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018.conf, /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018/sndoc-mixer.alisp and /etc/alsa/cards/SI7018/sndop-mixer.alisp; these files appear to be identical for both x86 and x86_64 installs.

Obviously, I am missing something! Can anyone here help?

Kind Regards,
Colin Coates.