Re: Independant Configuration System

Fabian Zeindl wrote:
Hi!

Is Fedora's Configuration System systemindependant or intended to be so?
I'm a Gentoo User, and I miss Fedora's System ;-)
Are there plans for a unified Linux Configuration System?

lg
fabian

Well, whichever system you want to use is available if you want to set it up. Gentoo takes a very different approach than RedHat with its startup scripts. Gentoo thinks their system is better, and RedHat thinks this system is better. But if you know what you're doing, there's nothing stopping you from modifying one to fit the other.

There really is no motivation for unity between distros--each does things in what they think is the best way. A "unified" system would mean doing away with any alternatives that would work better for a particular audience. And there really is no incentive to do that. If you want your distro to behave like Fedora, then use Fedora. If you want it to act like Gentoo, then use Gentoo.

One of Gentoo's selling points is not locking you into any single paradigm--allowing you to customize at will. If enough Gentoo users like the RedHat initscripts, you'll probably be able to find a package for it. I wouldn't get my hopes up, though.