Re: system gettinng very slow

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 09:51:30AM +0530, Muruganandam wrote:
> My system is getting very slow.
> here is partitions.here it is very normal.
> can u anybody tell me what is the reasons.

Generally, this would be _way_ not enough information. Running out of disk
space generally wouldn't be a cause for slowness, and you're clearly *not*
running out, so that's doubly not relevant.

However, there does happen to be an important clue here:

> none                    61M      0    61M   0% /dev/shm

This is your "shared memory" tmpfs. It's not taking up any actual RAM since
none is in use, but the default size is half of your physical memory --
which means you've got only 128MB.

That's _very_ likely your problem. Either run a more lightweight
environment: xfce instead of Gnome or KDE (or, my favorite, install Window
Maker from Fedora Extras) or invest in more RAM.

What is the output of "top"? Note that the most interesting number isn't
"mem used" or "free", but the amount of swap used. (You want this to be as
little as possible -- anything more an insignificant amount is a bad sign.)

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx        <http://www.mattdm.org/>