fc4, yum and s-c-p

Hi Folks,
 Some rough ideas for fc4 system-config-packages and yum.

1. interface layout: http://primates.ximian.com/~joe/Screenshot.png
 I actually like some bits of that picture of red carpet. Do we have any
mock ups of what multiple lists of packages would/will look like for pkg
mgmt through a gui interface? Is there someone at who I might be
able to harass for this stuff?

2. other callbacks and callback refinement needed. Right now I've
plugged callbacks into wherever I could think of that feedback was
needed. I'm still using the log functions for debug feedback in the yum-
module, but I've isolated all non-lib feedback into cli.py, output.py
and the rpm callback in yum-cli. If either of you would like to look
through the yum module (subdir yum in the tarball) and look for places
that need more feedback, I'd appreciate it. All of the functions raise
errors, nothing sys.exit()s anymore.

3. I need to make the exceptions easier to deal with. Either error numbers or
separate sub-exceptions for each type of error.

4. transactioninfo.py - in order to get back more detailed information
of what has happened in the the transaction I need to finish off and use
transactioninfo.py. In terms of the code all it ultimately means is
easier searching of what we've added to the transaction set.

5. repository editing/handling. One of the problems with the current
repository code is handling editing of the files from the gui. The way I
see it we can either:
  a. write out configparser files to replace the ones on system
  b. setup a new xml standard for repository declaration (let's call
it /etc/repos.d/ and work entirely from that. The current config code
should be able to cope with this w/o much trouble - just a new method to
read the data in.
  c. do something else altogether different.

6. rhn/xml-rpc - I don't know this from adam's housecat - so I'm not
sure what we want to do here. I'm not sure how it works but if it works
as I think it does I believe we can modify the current yum depsolver to
talk to it - if we just want to use it to get packages then that will be
utterly trivial - but the metadata will have to come from somewhere.
Setting up a list handler to make packages available via rhn visible as
an YumAvailablePackage Objects shouldn't be too hard. I just need the
metadata and a definition on how to get to it.

7. drag-n-drop/doubleclick-install - the yum localinstall stuff was
implemented with this in mind. It's all handled through the
YumLocalPackage class in yum/packages.py. This should be completely
simple to do double-click/drag-n-drop support.

8. gpgkey handling. utterly blank here. :)

9. rhnapplet/yumapplet/packageupdate applet - I have some ideas here
but:
  a. I'm not convinced they're not crack
  b. I'm not convinced they won't make for an incredibly heavy-weight
applet
  c. I'm worried about them being performant

okay.

I think those are all my rough thoughts on the subject.

I'll be working on the rest of the infrastructure bits we'll need, but
I'd like to get a prototype glued to a prelim gui VERY soon. My pygnome/
pygtk programming is non-existent other than the simplest of the demos.
I would like to learn it and I'm willing to spend some time on it - but
I know my interface design will suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck so I'm hoping some
interface people have some ideas.

Thanks,
-sv