Re: How can I get started?

On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 04:31, DALive Editor wrote:
> How can a Fedora Core 2 user like myself, who has some programming
> skills but has never written a compiled application in Linux getting
> started in making and contributing gui util tools? Example what skills
> do i need? What books should I read etc.

This is not a question for fedora-config-list, possibly
fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx might be more appropriate (though I really have
no idea where else to redirect you)

Since you're an FC2 user, and you'd like to get started (hopefully
developing for Fedora), some of the skills you'll require or will find
handy will be:

1. Handling RPM
2. Handling Makefiles and the automake tools
3. Learning some basic programming languages - like C or Python
(preferred w/Fedora config tools)

Glade-2 is a package that you might find handy to install - it allows
you to build GUI's mighty quickly. You can then use Python (via GladeGen
easily) or even C to get things working

HTH
--
Colin Charles, byte@xxxxxxxxxxx