Re: Sound card please help

You should download alsa drivers, here's a link in the attachment!

>How do I get the Ensoniq 5880 audio pci card to work and run my
speakers
>using Fedora Core 1 ?
>
>BobM......
>--

Title: Installing ALSA in fedora core 1 (yarrow)

Installing ALSA in fedora core 1 (yarrow)

Contents:

  • Introduction
  • Getting the packages
  • Installing the packages
  • Remove the OSS-drivers
  • Load the ALSA-drivers
  • Set the sound-levels
  • Notes

  • Introduction:

    ALSA is the new generation of sound-drivers for linux. ALSA is included in the 2.6 kernel, and will be included in Fedora Core 2.
    If you want ALSA in core 1 you will have to set them up yourself. This guide tries to cover this.

    Its up to you to come to a conclusion on whether you need ALSA-drivers or not. If you have sound working and don't have any issues with it, stick with the OSS drives. If you have issues with sound, or would like to test the newer and better sound-drivers for linux, follow this guide to easily install ALSA.

    This guide will only work with an official 2.4 fedora-kernel. If you have a custom 2.4 kernel, see the notes on obtaining or building a custom kernel-module-alsa package.

    Also notice that kudzu, which checks for new hardware when you start your computer, sometimes detects some usb-devices as sound cards even though they aren't, this can happen with web cameras and I've even heard of a midi-usb hub causing trouble. If you have such a device and still want to use ALSA, unplug the device and reboot before you proceed with ALSA installation. To prevent kudzu from overriding the ALSA-drivers every time you reboot, disable kudzu in redhat-config-services.

    If you are sure you want the ALSA-drivers and have taken the neccessary precautions, proceed.
    First of all make sure your card is supported, look it up in the ALSA sound card-matrix: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

    Getting packages:

    The first part of installing ALSA in fedora core 1 is done by installing 4 packages. All 4 can gathered from freshrpms.net. You can use yum or up2date to get these packages (not explained here) or you can get them manually. Remember that the filenames in this guide may be outdated by the time you read this, always get the latest packages.

    Start by making a directory that you call alsa in your home directory. Download all the packages to this directory.

    mkdir alsa

    You will have to get these 4 rpm packages:
    (always get the latest package highest version number)

    Package name: Package link:
    alsa-driver http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-driver/
    kernel-module-alsa http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-driver/
    alsa-lib http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-lib/
    alsa-utils http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-utils

    The kernel-module-alsa package contains the kernel modules, this package has to be match your kernel version.
    This package has to match your kernel, so we have to figure out which kernel you are running.

    Remember, Every time there's a kernel upgrade you'll have to get a new kernel-module-alsa package that matches your new kernel.
    Freshrpms usually has the updated kernel-module-alsa packages very soon after a kernel upgrade.

    To get your kernel version and system architecture issue the following command in your terminal:

    rpm -q --qf "%{version}-%{release} %{arch}\n" kernel |grep `uname -r`

    You will get an output similar to this:

    2.4.22-1.2149.nptl i686.

    The first is your kernel version: 2.4.22-1.2149.nptl, The second is your architecture: i686
    Get the kernel-module-alsa package that fits your kernel. In my case that would be kernel-module-alsa-1.0.0-0.rc1.1.fr_2.4.22_1.2115.nptl.i686.rpm

    When you have all packages downloaded, go on.

    Installation:

    Installing of rpms is quite simple, its done with the rpm -i command. We add -vh to the install command to get more output during installation of packages. For more information about using the rpm package system, see the manual and max-rpm

    When you're installing packages that depend on each other, like we have here. Install them all in one command to solve the dependencies.
    To become root:

    su -

    Enter your alsa directory.

    cd alsa

    Install all 4 packages in one command:

    rpm -ivh *.rpm

    ALSA is in there, now we have to configure our system to use the new sound-drivers instead of the old ones.

    Removing the OSS drivers:

    We have to stop the old sound-drivers, OSS, from loading at startup, as they conflict with the new ALSA-drivers.
    If you don't have any sound-drivers, skip this step.
    Open up your /etc/modules in a text editor like gedit (graphical) or nano (terminal). You have to be root to do this.

    nano /etc/modules.conf

    If there are OSS sound-driver lines comment them out (Place a # in front of them):

    #alias sound-slot-1 emu10k1
    #-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    #pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

    Save, but don't close modules.conf.
    Note the module name, in the example above it's "emu10k1".

    Now we've stopped the OSS-drivers from loading at startup, but we have to remove the already loaded OSS-drivers too.
    This is with the rmmod command, remember to close all programs using sound.

    rmmod emu10k1

    Look up your sound card in the ALSA soundcard-matrix again: http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/

    Now we have removed the old drivers, and prevented them from loading at startup. We now have to load the ALSA-drivers.
    First make the new ALSA-drivers load at startup.

    Locate your card and click on details. Scroll down to the part of the details page that says "Setting up modprobe and kmod support".
    Look just below "Here's the example for this card. Copy and paste this to the bottom of your /etc/modules.conf file."

    Example using Creative Sound blaster live, emu10k1 module:

    # ALSA portion
    alias char-major-116 snd
    alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
    # module options should go here

    # OSS/Free portion
    alias char-major-14 soundcore
    alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

    # card #1
    alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
    alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
    alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
    alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

    Save, but don't close modules.conf, there's a little more that has to go in there.
    The drivers will now load on startup. You could reboot, but no one likes rebooting so lets just load the drivers manually.

    The command needed to do this is in your cards details of your card in the ALSA soundcard-matrix.
    Scroll to "Now insert the modules into the kernel.". There you will find a modprobe command.

    Example using Sound Blaster live, emu10k1 module:

    modprobe snd-emu10k1;modprobe snd-pcm-oss;modprobe snd-mixer-oss;modprobe snd-seq-oss

    You shouldn't get any output at this point.
    Now you should check if the drivers were loaded properly. To check if a module is loaded we use the lsmod command.
    To only show part of an output we use the grep command to filter out the ones we aren't interested in. Since all the alsa modules start with "snd-" we can use grep to only show lines that contain "snd".

    lsmod |grep snd

    You should get an output similar to this, example using Creative Sound blaster Live, emu10k1 module

    snd-pcm-oss 45252 1 (autoclean)
    snd-mixer-oss 16304 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
    snd-emu10k1 84676 1 (autoclean)
    snd-rawmidi 18720 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-pcm 84868 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-emu10k1]
    snd-timer 19556 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm]
    snd-hwdep 7008 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-util-mem 3096 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
    snd-seq-device 6172 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]
    snd-page-alloc 9812 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm]
    snd-ac97-codec 51832 0 (autoclean) [snd-emu10k1]
    snd 46500 0 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hwdep snd-util-mem snd-seq-device snd-ac97-codec]
    soundcore 6468 6 (autoclean) [snd]

    Great, the drivers are now loaded, but we're not quite done yet.

    Setting the sound levels

    You see, the ALSA-drivers mute all sound-levels when loaded. So we have to unmute some of them to get sound.
    If you prefer a graphical volume-control, see the notes about gnome-alsamixer.
    As root, open alsamixer (eventually gnome-alsamixer), the alsa volume-control.

    alsamixer

    Set the volumes the way you like them, test sound with xmms using the alsa-plugin, alsaplayer or using xine like this:

    xine -A alsa09

    or mplayer

    mplayer -ao alsa9

    Because the drivers are loaded muted at every startup you'll need to set the levels every time turn your computer on. Fortunately there's an automatic utility that does that for you, called alsactl.

    To do automatically save levels at shutdown, and load them again at startup, add the two following lines to /etc/modules.conf:

    post-install snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
    pre-remove snd-card-0 /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :

    Save and close modules.conf.

    Now you hopefully have ALSA installed and working, Congratulations.
    You should do a reboot and make sure everything is working on startup.

    Notes:

    There is a graphical alsamixer called gnome-alsamixer available from freshrpms.
    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/gnome-alsamixer/

    After installing it you will find its menu-entry under sound & video.

    ALSA modules for kernels in the testing updates are usually to be found here : http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/testing/1/alsa-driver/

    If you have a custom kernel, or can't wait for freshrpms to release the kernel-module-alsa for the latest kernel update you can rebuild the package to fit your kernel.

    Get the latest ALSA-driver src.rpm:
    http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/alsa-driver/

    Use this command to get you kernel version:

    uname -r

    You will get an output like this:

    2.4.22-1.2115.nptl

    Then rebuild the ALSA-driver by using the rpmbuild command:
    Example:

    rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 --define 'kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl' alsa-driver-1.0.0-0.rc1.1.fr.src.rpm

    To speed up building define your module as well:
    Example using Creative Sound blaster Live, emu10k1 module:

    $ rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 --define 'cards emu10k1' --define 'kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl' alsa-driver-1.0.0-0.rc1.1.fr.src.rpm

    Once the build is done locate the rpms in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS

    Sindre Pedersen Bjordal ( foolish_at_guezz_dot_net )

    Comments are most welcome

    Thanks to:
    Matthias Saou David Marrs

    Valid HTML 4.01! Valid CSS!